Monday 3 June 2019

Miniature painting: the adventure continues

Last September, after incautiously writing too many blog posts about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, I took up miniature painting. I posted about it in December, providing images of all the crudely painted figures that I'd completed to date. Five months on, I'm still at it, although my pace has slowed somewhat. This post is an update on what I've been painting since.

I'm still very much a beginner, as will be obvious from the images below. I'm only just starting to experiment with things like basing figures or painting human eyes. I'm painting figures pretty much at random, just in order to experiment with different things - big models, small models, cloth, skin, armour, hair, scales - and my focus is still on quantity rather than quality. But I'm improving. Slowly. I think.

Here are the models I've done so far this year. Click the pictures for bigger images.

More miniatures from Castle Ravenloft and The Legend of Drizzt:











THE CHORUS LINE OF THE DAMNED.
Some chunky old elves from Chronopia: 


Some Arab warriors from somewhere or other:


An angel.


A sprue of female paladins from Shieldwolf miniatures:


Some 1:72 (20mm) elves, as an experiment in working on a smaller scale:



Some GW skinks and Frostgrave snakemen:



A bunch of fantasy henchmen and irregulars:





Some random historical figures:



Painting these guys was an oddly intimate experience. As my brush tenderly caressed their athletic buttocks, I suddenly realised why there was such a big market for cheesecake female miniatures.
Some dark elf spearmen:


Some old Warzone miniatures:



I FINALLY WORKED OUT HOW TO DO EYES!


And a dwarf.


So that's where I've got to. Current projects include finally finishing the board game miniatures, painting up a bunch of other Warzone figures (Brotherhood, Bauhaus, and Lutherans), doing some more Celts (some of whom will be wearing trousers this time), and completing a squad of Mantic orcs who have been sitting on my shelf, half-finished, for about six months. So expect another update in, like, November or thereabouts...

4 comments:

  1. "Warzone figures (Brotherhood, Bauhaus, and Lutherans)"

    One of these things is not like the others.

    Also, this reminded me that I need to get back to reading Mutant Chronicles. I found a copy of the original RPG a few months ago in a store and haven't gotten around to reading more than a few pages yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in a game written by Swedes would the Lutheran church be one of the handful of organisations to survive the apocalypse.

      I'm actually going to be doing a post on Mutant Chronicles soon. I find the whole story of its rise, fall, and stubborn survival fascinating.

      Delete
  2. I FORGOT ABOUT WARZONE!!!!!

    I used to play Cybertronic and my brother HATED it, their armour was so high he could hardly kill them. Ahhhh, you've reminded me of my misspent teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warzone, the most 90s of all miniatures wargames. I think 'reminding people of their misspent teenage years' has been their primary marketing strategy since about 1999.

      Delete